Bariatric Hotline: 501.622.4567
Program Coordinator: Email Natalie Manatt, BSN RN
Your Weight Loss Journey
Are you ready to get started on your weight loss goals? The first step towards being healthier and happier begins with learning more about weight loss surgery and if it’s right for you. If you are ready to take your next step towards living your life to the fullest, we're here to help. Read about our patients' experience with their weight loss journey.
Is Bariatric Surgery Right For You?
- Are you at least 18 years old?
- Are you more than 100 pounds over your ideal body weight?
- Do you have a body mass index (BMI) greater than 40?
- Or do you have a BMI greater than 35 and weight-related diagnoses such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or sleep apnea?
- Have you tried other medical and nutritional weight loss programs without long term success?
- Are you unable to maintain a healthy weight, even with medically supervised attempts at weight loss?
If you answered yes to any or all of the questions above, you may be a candidate for our surgical weight loss program. Please call our bariatric hotline at 501.622.4567 or email our program coordinator.
- Also see our Bariatric Frequently Asked Questions.
Bariatric Surgery Options
We offer vertical sleeve gastrectomy weight loss surgery. This procedure involves removing part of the stomach to reduce the amount of food a person can eat. Generally the post surgical patient can return to work after two weeks. To learn more about gastric sleeve surgery, please sign up for one of our free upcoming seminars by calling the bariatric hotline at 501.622.4567 or email our program coordinator.
Attend a Free Seminar on Weight Loss
The next step is to attend a free seminar on bariatric surgery. This informational session helps you understand your weight loss treatment and follow-up programs. You’ll have your questions answered about:
- Minimally invasive surgical procedures
- Navigating the health insurance process
- What you can expect during weight loss treatment
- What happens before and after surgery
To find out more about upcoming free seminars, call the bariatric hotline at 501.622.4567 or email our program coordinator.
Adjusting After Surgery
Completing your bariatric surgery is just the beginning of your weight loss journey. We’re here to provide follow-up care and support designed to meet your unique needs.
For most of our bariatric patients, we recommend the following nutritional and dietary guidelines after your surgery:
- Temporary, liquid-only diet
- Slow transition to pureed foods, then to soft foods, and finally to solid foods within one to two weeks or months after surgery (depending on procedure)
- Nutritional foundation of high-protein liquid drinks and supplements accompanied by healthy food choices
- Eat only small quantities of food (one to three ounces) at a time
- Don't eat desserts and other items with sugar listed as one of the first three ingredients
- Avoid carbonated drinks, high-calorie nutritional supplements, milk shakes or high-fat foods
- Don't drink alcohol
- Eat only limited snacks between meals
Going back to daily activities after weight loss surgery
Many patients return to full activity at work or home within a couple of weeks of their procedure and are fully healed within a couple of months.
Ongoing health check-ups after weight-loss surgery
At first, you’ll visit our weight loss team for follow-up visits and some tests every three to six months or as needed, and then every one to two years. Health checks include lab work to check for:
- Low-serum proteins
- Vitamin B12, folate and iron levels
Bariatric Clinical Coordinator
Natalie will be your initial contact and facilitate your progress through our program - from initial intake to coordinating care and procedures to follow-up.
Jennifer has been working with the bariatric program since its inception. She will work closely with you before and after surgery to help safely modify your diet and incorporate exercise.