Nurse Extern Program
“Achieving Excellence in Nursing Practice” Nurse Extern Program
The Nurse Extern Program at CHI St. Vincent is designed to strengthen medical and surgical patient care delivery skills in the non-licensed BSN student. Nurse externs function as unlicensed care givers within the limits set forth by the Arkansas Board of Nursing and in accordance with the policies of CHI St. Vincent. The Nurse Extern Program at CHI St. Vincent emphasizes care delivery, communication, prioritization, and patient safety.
Nurse externs who successfully complete the externship at CHI St. Vincent are expected to apply to and enter the RN Residency Program upon graduation from the BSN program. Graduate nurses will be placed in the RN Residency clinical track corresponding to their clinical placement during the Nurse Extern Program (Medical or Surgical).
Nurse Extern Program Requirements
- currently enrolled in an accredited BSN program
- not currently licensed as an RN
- anticipated graduation with BSN within 12 months of beginning the extern program
- GPA of at least 3.0
- Six week (216 hours) summer program working the same shifts and hours as a designated preceptor.
- For nurse externs who successfully complete the six week summer program, up to an additional 216 hours of paid work time may be offered throughout the school year. A four hour block is the minimum number of hours that can be worked. The hours must be worked with a designated primary or secondary preceptor.
- Nurse Extern position reports to the Nurse Manager of the RN Residency Program and is accountable to the RN preceptor on the clinical nursing unit
Features of the Program
- Competitive rate of pay
- Unique job description for the Nurse Extern position
- Flexible scheduling during the school year including partial shifts and non-traditional start times
- Two sets of nurse extern uniforms provided at start of the program
- Clinical observations and learning activities tailored to meet individual interests
During the application process, applicants have an opportunity to indicate their clinical unit preferences. The following is a list of the clinical units available:
Surgical units at CHI St. Vincent infirmary:
- 5 East Neurosurgical
- 4 East Neurosurgery/Spine
- 4 North Orthopaedic
- 4 West Surgical
- 3 East Urology/GYN
Medical units at CHI St Vincent Infirmary:
- 7 East Oncology
- 4 Northwest Medical (Hospitalist)
- 3 North Medical
- CHI St. Vincent North Medical Surgical
Application to the Nurse Extern Program is a two step process:
1. Complete a CHI St. Vincent Employment Application for a “Nurse Extern” position on the Careers Page. Note: this position is only posted on the website during the open application period.
2. Complete a separate, additional, Nurse Extern Program Application and submit all required documents to:
Jan Brandeburg BSN, MNEd, RN-BC
Nurse Manager, RN Residency Program
2 St. Vincent Circle
Little Rock, AR 72205
- Nurse Extern Program Application
- one completed Clinical Faculty Reference form
- most recent transcript (may be unofficial transcript printed from website)
- professional resume including education, volunteer activities and work experience
- Candidates will be selected for interviews from the applications received. All applicants may not be interviewed.
Successful candidates will receive employment offers for a specific nursing unit. A Human Resource representative extends employment offers for positions in the Nurse Extern Program and discusses pre-hire requirements.
Ready to join us? Use this link to fill out an application online. You will be asked to create a profile and then you can upload your resume.